Small Group Ministry
Often initiated by members of the congregation who feel moved to lead a workshop, each group is unique, varied and comprised of a mix of participants. Many groups are on-going, some meet only for a set period of time to cover a specific topic. Times are varied to help make the studies available to a wide range of participants.
COURSES/ACTIVITIES IN PROGRESS:
- The Women of Trinity - as a result of the very successful Women’s Retreat held in Kingston. the women of Trinity (with an open invitation to any women of the community who would like to join them) are considering various options and plans to gather for discussion, prayer and fellowship If you are interested in getting involved and/or have any suggestions, please call 613 836 1429. Plans are alreasy in progress for a 2014 Women’s Retreat and dates have been confirmed for Friday May 30 to Sunday June 1, 2014 inclusive More Info Trinity Women
- September 11th, 2013 Monthly Prayer Group beginning Wednesday Sept.11 and continuing on the first Wednesday of each month from 10:30 to 11:30am. Prayer Room KCCRC.
- September 16, 20131. Monday Morning Bible Study [on Proverbs], meeting weekly for 7 weeks. Time: 10-11:30am. Location is Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church [KCCRC], 46 Castlefrank Road in Kanata, downstairs Prayer Room. NOTE: The Proverbs Bible Study will be cancelled for Monday, November 4 and will resume on Monday, November 11 [this will be our last session]. The Study will look at the Book of Proverbs as it guides us on:
- • Sept. 16: Success in life and in business.
- • Sept. 23: Guarding our thoughts and words.
- • Sept. 30: Getting along with others [especially the prickly
- pears in our lives!].
- • Oct. 7: The wise use of time and money.
- • Oct. 21: Expectations: Putting God in a box.
- • Oct. 28: Wisdom for the stages of our lives.
- • Nov. 4: Proverbial practical rules for living.
There is no fee but space is limited, so please advise if you are planning to attend. by calling 613 836 1429.
- Trinity’s Courageous Men’s Group You are invited to join Trinity’s Courageous Men’s Ministry for food & fellowship. |If you’re looking for a place to join together with other men, study the Word of God, and find a place to use your skills for the greater community, please join us! All men-members, family, and friends are welcome to join the group beginning this fall on Monday, September 23rd at 6:30 pm. For location please call 613 836 1429. . The group will be meeting every other Monday evening until December 2nd. Please come whether or not you can make every session! For more information or to register, please call 613 836 1429
Keep reading to see some of the Small Group courses and/or studies that are being proposed
Please submit your ideas for topics in which you’d be interested. So far, we have several suggestions:
- An evening Bible Study group.
- A weekly ‘Moving Closer to God through Prayer and Reflection.
- A loss or bereavement support group .
- A knitting group. Join a group to knit Prayer Shawls for those in need of comfort. If interested contact 613 836 1429
- Saturday morning Parenting group
- Here are some topics, Shaun is interested in discussing as a group. Let’s Talk:
There are all sorts of phrases from the Bible which we all know and think we know what they mean and how we are to apply them to our daily living….but do we??? How about this one – “You are the potter, I am the clay”. God – the Potter. Us – the pot. What does this mean? How does our independence, intelligence, free will, faith in action relate to this? Or are we mere pawns on the chess board of life??
There are lots of images like this in Scripture – vine and branches, sheep and shepherd.
Are you interested in gathering with Shaun and others to consider,
contemplate, and discuss some of these? If so, let Shaun know and we will
work out a suitable time and place.
- What Other ideas do you have?
Courses Previously Run At Trinity
These are only a small sampling of the opportunities previously offered at Trinity and which may be run again. Come join the type of group that interests you. Phone our church office at any time for a contact name for additional information 613 836 1429 or check out our calendar or see our News and Events section for presently active groups.
Daytime Study Group At Trinity”-Consider dropping by to experience this interesting, friendly and lively group. This group is presently taking a short break but will resume soon, keep checking this site or phone 613 836 1429 for details.
CHRISTIAN STUDY GROUP: A Tuesday evening fellowship group, getting together to talk about one of the books of the Bible or a current Christian book [to be decided by the group when they first meet]. A wonderful opportunity to get to know other members of Trinity’s congregation, share a fun evening, and build your faith! Contact church office for information 613 836 1429.
W OMEN’S LIFESTYLE GROUP: Always topical – a get together to look at four DVD’s by Joyce Meyer on such topics as: decluttering your [spiritual] life, setting boundaries in relationships, staying within the Word of God in our busy lives, and dealing with weight, finances, and addictions according to God’s will and Word. These are interesting and challenging messages which we will discuss [or listen to the discussion if you’d rather just think about what you’ve seen and heard in a supportive and friendly setting. Previously run in the evening, new time to be a daytime event, run off site. Contact 613 836 1429 for time and location.
The Truth Project, Parenting Series – 10 am Saturdays. A Focus on the Family, an exciting new program to help us discover the truths about our faith . Dates:
- parents of toddlers/preschoolers (daycare provided) February 5th, 2010
- for parents of pre-teens and teens – April 9th, 2011
Saturday April 9th from 10am-12 noon to listen to a Focus on the Family broadcast about why purity matters and how to talk to your kids about it. Your children will certainly be exposed to the secular worldview way of thinking about this, so be prepared to share God’s view with them. Other parenting resources will be available for borrowing, so don’t hesitate to come on out and enjoy listening to what Focus on the Family has to say on the topic. Questions? Please contact613 836 1429
Bible Basics: This group will be led by Rev. Shaun Seaman over the course of two nights. If you would like to know more about your Bible, add your name to the sign-up sheet in the white binder in the hall or contact church office 613 836 1429. Date to be announced soon.
“Re:connect”. Beginning again soon. 7 week study entitled “re:connect”., lead by Rev. Shaun Seaman Each week a spiritual discipline is studied and practiced in an effort to help us to develop intimacy with God. Week one is Silence, week 2 is Holy Reading, week 3 is Praying the Scriptures. Each day, following your workbook, you will have prescribed activities to help you grow and develop in this particular spiritual discipline. This resource has been developed by Rev. David Sherbino and is available through the PCC Book Room. If you think you might be interested, you may have a look at Shaun’s book in order to help you decide. Shaun has a variety of other resources including some studies on DVD. We are excited about leadership within the congregation taking on the exciting opportunity to facilitate other study groups. For more information contact Rev Shaun Seaman, 613 836 1429.
THE MARRIAGE COURSE: The aim of the course is to help couples grow closer and build a healthy relationship that will last a lifetime. Topics include: Building strong foundations; The art of communication; Resolving conflict; The power of forgiveness, The impact of family; and Love in action. The course is for couples and will have a cost per couple of $30., to cover cost of manuals and refreshments.
Bringing up Boys Parenting Seminar - – Focus on the Family’s seminar series on raising the next generation of men (dates to be confirmed). This DVD seminar, written and presented by Christian author and psychologist Dr. James Dobson will equip you with what you need to know to raise healthy, confident and faithful sons.
Coming to Terms With Loss Course “
Reverend Shaun Seaman is very interested in the area of Grief and has chosen to provide a course for all interested as a means to reach out to the community and in doing so, pursue a vital ministry. The course is designed to comfort, inform and help the healing process for those in pain. Topics explored :
- Why is sudden death so difficult?
- What is complicated grief?
- Children and Death, exploring why a child’s death is so traumatic as well as why we need to include children in the grief process and funeral rituals.
- Loss of a pet.
- Suicide is included in the area Suicide: The Enigma.
Course was lead by Elizabeth Slump, a certified and licensed Death Educator, Grief Therapist, Counselor and Trauma Specialist will be leading this course. Her work began in 1975 and she has worked with Death Educators like Dr. Earl Grollman and the late Dr. Jack Morgan. Dr. Grollman refers to her as the Canadian pioneer in the field of Death and Dying. Trained in Traumatic Incident Reduction Elizabeth has worked on the front lines in places like Colorado (Columbine High School ) and many other venues where tragedy occurred over the years. She is delighted to share her training and her ministry with the Trinity community.
“Boot Camp Level #1 “- Level #1 - This was a fun course and was promoted as _”Pre-requisites – You must know little or absolutely nothing about the Bible in order to be eligible for this program.. Be prepared to learn some very useful basics and to have some fun during this intriguing 5 week course lead by Rev Shaun Seaman. Do you believe, but are not quite sure what you believe? Is the Bible a book you know about, but perhaps do not know the difference between the Old and the New Testament, or where to find a certain book of the Bible or a particular passage? Boot Camp for Believers assumes you know absolutely nothing about faith, the Bible, church, etc., and we go from there. It assumes NOTHING!! At the end of boot Camp, you will be able to find any book and any passage you want. You will have a better understanding about God’s purpose through Creation, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. You will be able to identify how God is already present in your life, and you will have a sense of God’s love and purpose for you! Do you remember Colonel Klink of Hogan’s Hero’s fame? He would often say, “I know nothing!” That is where Boot Camp begins. I assume you know nothing and we go from there! It promises to be lots of fun along the way … (very little Boot Camp yelling and demanding, and almost no pain!!) “
Gospel Bible Study: 7 week course -An evening of exploring one of the Gospels – reading God’s Word, interpreting His Word in today’s world.
“Benedictine Approach to Bible Study” - , a study for those interested in participating in a “user friendly” Bible approach. The study is based loosely on the Benedictine method of study, Lectio Divina. The foundation of this approach was initially started by Origen in 220 AS and emphasizes the value of reading scripture with attention to different levels of meaning.
- visualizing the actual physical setting of the reading,
- imaging the emotional response of the people involved,
- discussing the questions that arise from the reading using our intellect, intelligence and curiosity
- a final reading to discern if the passage had any personal meaning or insight for participants today.
“Sunday Afternoon Study Group,” - The Living Faith Bible Study Group – a study of various topics or Bible chapters, a time of fellowship, prayer and refreshments in a relaxed environment that encourages group discussion. The group motto – ” there is always an empty chair”.
“The Praying Parent”- a home study group based on the book by Debbie Goodwin entitled, “The Praying Parent”. The chapters reference many scriptures and the discussion should be suitable for a parent with children of any age – even adult. This course has been completed but similar courses are frequently available.
“What Does the Bible Say”-Following the interesting study -”How Do You Know It Is True?” – a study of the evidences that the Bible is the inspired Word of God through the discussion of prophecy, archeology, scientific accuracy historical accuracy, Bob Evans, guest facilitator, lead this Bible Study-“What does the Bible say”- about sin, salvation, the Holy Spirit’s work in the Christian’s life, the sovereignty of God, and Christian service? This course was run In an informal setting where all were encouraged to participate on a voluntary basis, the participants studied the book of Romans and considered these topics and others. A course thoroughly enjoyed by both the novice and the more serious Bible student during lively and comfortable discussions.
ALPHA”- several members of Trinity strongly support the well known ALPHA course, sometimes running the program at Trinity or supporting the interdenominational Alpha program run out of the Mlacak centre. An evening meal, a time of singing, a video presentation, and non intimidating discussion groups are all part of this world wide program which is designed to be an introduction to Christianity and has proved to be life altering for so many of its participants. Link to Alpha Courses in Ottawa -Alpha